Comment on page
Defining the different types of nodes who support the vechain ecosystem.
In blockchain networks, nodes are individual computers or devices that participate in maintaining the blockchain's network by validating, storing, and relaying transactions and blocks of data. As with any peer-to-peer network, nodes play a crucial role in the overall functioning and security of the network. The more nodes who contribute to the network, generally the more robust and secure the network will be.
The VechainThor network is supported by various different types of nodes, who all contribute to the ecosystem in a particular way.
AMs are responsible for maintaining consensus and producing blocks on the vechain network. There are 101 AMs who are authorised, via an on-chain whitelist, to validate and produce the blocks on the VechainThor blockchain. As a reward, AMs receive 30% of all VTHO generated from transaction / gas fees in a block, with the other 70% being burned.
There's a rigorous process implemented in order for a person/entity to run an AM:
- Be vetted to ensure they have a legitimate identity;
- Hold 25M VETs as collateral; and,
- Run and manage a server with a certain guaranteed level of performance and availability.
Both vechain Economic and X-Node programs attempt to increase stability in the vechain ecosystem and act as a distribution of power and privilege within the blockchain’s economy. Both nodes are staking nodes but have slightly different rewards and requirements.
Full nodes can be deployed by anybody by running an instance of the VechainThor node software and they support the network in a few fundamental ways. Full nodes are configured to be interacted with and are constantly injecting new transactions into the network for AMs to build into blocks. Full nodes also enable people to query the VechainThor blockchain and get the blockchain data from the chain to other systems to be processed. They also increase resiliency as they have a complete copy of the blockchain history stored.